God has placed it on my heart in recent days, that it is time for me to go. So, I have been praying, "Where, God? Where is it you want me to go? And for what possible purpose?" This bewildered me. I worried about the responsibilities I have here. I worried about how I could manage, financially. I worried about how I could live apart from my family and everything that was familiar to me.
So, as I pondered these questions, I turned to my usual source for unaswerable questions...the Scriptures. And so, I came upon the story of Abraham in Genesis in which God commands Abram, (later known as Abraham), in Genesis Chapter 12, Verse 1, ...Go forth for yourself [for your own advantage] away from your country, from your relatives and your father's house, to the land that I will show you. Notice the "I will" future tense, not past tense. God is prompting Abraham to first, go, and then He says (at a later time) I will show you, the "where". What is so surprising about this story is that Abram does it..he goes...without questioning God...without running around asking his family and his neighbors about what they think about it or whether they think this command is really from God. He just obeys God and goes. As we see in, Genesis 12:5, And Abram departed, as the Lord had directed him. Abraham was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. This instantaneous obedience to God required astounding faith on the part of Abraham. Can you imagine, at the age of 75, leaving everything you had ever known, the only place you had ever lived...most of your family and friends? ( He did take Sarah, his wife, and his nephew, Lot.) I think we would all like to believe that we would do the same and answer the call to go where ever God tells us to go and do whatever God wants us to do. I know, for myself, I would probably ponder the request, call up all my friends, my daughter, my sister and mother and ask them what advice they had for me. I hope to, someday, reach the level of faith where, like Abraham, I just obey. Without question!
As for the answer to my question: Go where, Lord? As I was praying, last night, God brought it to my mind; Go where? "Go out and find someone to bless! Lead the life of a servant, follow the example of Jesus in Acts 10:38, and 'Go about doing good!'" So it was never a physical place to which God was prompting me to go, afterall, but rather it was to a higher level of faith and obedience.
No comments:
Post a Comment